Faribault Minnesota History
The streets of Faribault, Minnesota, are lined with nice shops, and you can find a wide selection of different types of food, clothing, jewelry and other items for sale. Farabault County is located on the Minnesota side of the Mississippi River, north of St. Paul, and is known for fishing, boating and camping, according to the Northfield News. It is located in the north - in central Minnesota, about 30 miles south of Minneapolis, and was built in 1884 as a settlement of about 1,000 people on a small piece of land. Located on the river and surrounding area on the northwest corner of North Dakota and Minnesota State Highway 5, near the intersection of US Highway 35 and Interstate 35.
The town of Faribault was built in 1884 to preserve the Cannon Straight, located on the north side of the Mississippi River, about 30 miles south of St. Paul, Minnesota.
In 1884, Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul built their own railroads, the Chicago and Milwaukee Railway and the Minnesota Northwestern Railroad. The three lines were part of the Great Lakes Railway, a joint venture between the U.S. railroad and Chicago & Milwaukee. In 1886, Minnesota and Northwestern established a line in parts of eastern Rice County to connect St. Paul and Austin, but rail traffic did not reach northwestern Rice County until the result of that line was plated. It starts in Waterville, follows a signposted route from city roads to Watville, passes through Mankato, Hennepin, Ramsey and Ramsey counties, ends in Manksato on the Minnesota River Trail and ends east of Interstate 35 in Faribault.
The turn of the century saw the construction of the Faribault public library and a new, freestanding library at the corner of the main street and the main street.
Historians attribute Faribault's impressive growth during this period to a series of important milestones from 1855-1856, including the construction of a rail link between the city and St. Paul, the city of Minneapolis, and the Minnesota State Capitol. In addition, there was a significant increase in the population of the county in the late 18th and early 19th centuries. The early development of the district was strongly influenced by prominent Minnesota pioneers, such as Bishop John F. Schmitt, a prominent local businessman. The three cities that gained great importance in this early period were Farbault, Stony Brook, Minnesota, and Duluth, Minn., and St. Paul.
The Northfield tornado, which originated in Rice County, disintegrated in Faribault, destroying several sheds and causing minor damage to 12 homes. A storm near the Iowa border led to a long-lasting tornado in the town of St. Peter, Minnesota, on July 14, 1855. The tornado crossed the Minnesota River on the southern outskirts of Saint Peter and reached Le Sueur County near a town in Kasota (see separate entry).
The Eye of the Past, "contains a copy found in the archives of the Faribault Historical Society in Box 127, H-6 - 2 and exhibited at the University of Minnesota. - St. Paul's Library and Archives. The internal Farabault report is available from the Archives and Records Division of the Minnesota State Library.
To find out what is in the city newspaper, click on this link to find the catalogue of newspaper stocks. Faribault, MN 55021, was sold to the Ministry of Public Works and Public Security of the City of Farabault on July 2, 2020. City - Information and impact on the department related to COVID-19.
Sources of public records are available in the Human - Edited Public Records Directory of the Minnesota Department of Public Safety. Select from the Minnesota State Police Department of Public Records and Information, St. Paul, June 10, 2013.
This is the first in a series of articles on the history of the Fariabault area in Minnesota in the early 20th century.
The Fariabault area in Minnesota in the early 20th century, from the late 19th to the mid 20th century.
The Faribault family moved from Pike Island to Fort Snelling in 1851 after Colonel Henry Leavenworth knew that the Dakota people living in the area could promote the fur trade in Minnesota. When Minnesota North Western built a line through eastern Rice County, the community of Nerstrand, which Osmund O smundson clad when he clad it, was one of the first communities in Rice County with homes built after 1853. The house on the north side of Fariabault Road, near the intersection with the Minnesota-Wisconsin line, is the site of a house built between 1852 and 1854, according to the National Register of Historic Places. In the 1970s, Farbaults was added to the National Historic Landmark Register along with several other Minnesota cities.